Subscribe to our YouTube channel above by clicking the logo in the top left.
How To Make Horchata (Rice and Cinnamon Drink)
Share the Love:
In this recipe tutorial, chef Sydney shows you how to make Horchata from scratch (Rice and Cinnamon drink), which is light, creamy, and refreshing. This is a popular drink in Mexico.
TOOLS YOU'LL NEED
- Measuring Cup
- Measuring Spoons
- Large Mixing Spoons
- Pre-measure ingredients
- Take 1 cup of rice and pour into a container with 2 cups of water. Let the rice soak for about 2 hours.
- After rice soaks pour water and rice in a blender.
- Mix well, on high, for about 2 minutes, or until all rice is dissolved.
- In a pitcher add 4 cups of water Pour the rice mix into the pitcher. Add to this mix a can of condensed milk. The condensed milk will settle at the bottom so mix well until it's combined. Add half a teaspoon of cinnamon and mix once more.
- Pour over ice and enjoy!
Horchata Nutritional Highlights
(The Stuff That Fuels Your Body!)
- White rice contains 4 grams of protein per 1 cup serving, which helps keep you full and build muscle.
- Cinnamon is thought to have antioxidant and antimicrobial properties, and that it is helpful in preventing cancer and other diseases.
Horchata Frequently Asked Questions
What is horchata made of?
- Horchata is a drink typically made of soaked nuts or grains that is sweetened and flavored with spices. Typical Mexican horchata is made with rice, water, cinnamon and a sweetener, like sugar or sweetened condensed milk.
What does horchata taste like?
- Depending on the ingredients used to make the horchata, horchata will have a creamy texture with a slight sweetness and some warm spice.
Is horchata healthy?
- Horchata can be considered a healthy drink compared to sugary beverages like fruit juice and soda. Horchata is thought to be a remedy for digestive problems, due to the rice which helps to soothe the stomach.
Does horchata contain dairy?
- Our horchata recipe does contain dairy because we sweeten it with condensed milk, but feel free to use a different sweetener like sugar or maple syrup for a dairy-free option.
What is the difference between Spanish horchata and Mexican horchata?
- In Spain, where the concept of horchata originated, it is typically made with tiger nuts. Mexican horchata is made using rice.
Do other countries drink horchata?
- Most Hispanic countries and even countries in Africa have their own variations of horchata made with other ingredients like almonds, seeds, nutmeg, and even cacao.