Subscribe to our YouTube channel above by clicking the logo in the top left.
How To Make Horchata (Rice and Cinnamon Drink)
Share the Love:
In this recipe tutorial, chef Sydney shows you how to make Horchata from scratch (Rice and Cinnamon drink), which is light, creamy, and refreshing. This is a popular drink in Mexico.
TOOLS YOU'LL NEED
- Measuring Cup
- Measuring Spoons
- Large Mixing Spoons
- Pre-measure ingredients
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup rice
- 1 can of condensed sweet milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon (optional)
- Take 1 cup of rice and pour into a container with 2 cups of water. Let the rice soak for about 2 hours.
- After rice soaks pour water and rice in a blender.
- Mix well, on high, for about 2 minutes, or until all rice is dissolved.
- In a pitcher add 4 cups of water Pour the rice mix into the pitcher. Add to this mix a can of condensed milk. The condensed milk will settle at the bottom so mix well until it's combined. Add half a teaspoon of cinnamon and mix once more.
- Pour over ice and enjoy!
Horchata Nutritional Highlights
(The Stuff That Fuels Your Body!)
- White rice contains 4 grams of protein per 1 cup serving, which helps keep you full and build muscle.
- Cinnamon is thought to have antioxidant and antimicrobial properties, and that it is helpful in preventing cancer and other diseases.
Horchata Frequently Asked Questions
What is horchata made of?
- Horchata is a drink typically made of soaked nuts or grains that is sweetened and flavored with spices. Typical Mexican horchata is made with rice, water, cinnamon and a sweetener, like sugar or sweetened condensed milk.
What does horchata taste like?
- Depending on the ingredients used to make the horchata, horchata will have a creamy texture with a slight sweetness and some warm spice.
Is horchata healthy?
- Horchata can be considered a healthy drink compared to sugary beverages like fruit juice and soda. Horchata is thought to be a remedy for digestive problems, due to the rice which helps to soothe the stomach.
Does horchata contain dairy?
- Our horchata recipe does contain dairy because we sweeten it with condensed milk, but feel free to use a different sweetener like sugar or maple syrup for a dairy-free option.
What is the difference between Spanish horchata and Mexican horchata?
- In Spain, where the concept of horchata originated, it is typically made with tiger nuts. Mexican horchata is made using rice.
Do other countries drink horchata?
- Most Hispanic countries and even countries in Africa have their own variations of horchata made with other ingredients like almonds, seeds, nutmeg, and even cacao.
Related Aguas Frescas Recipes
Blueberry Lemonade video lesson
Strawberry Water (Agua de Fresa)