Subscribe to our YouTube channel by clicking the logo above in the top left of the video.
How To Make Authentic Mexican Red Rice
Share the Love:
In this video cooking lesson, Chef Toby shows you how to make authentic Mexican red rice from scratch.
- Wash California Peppers
- Pre-measure ingredients
- Take 3 dry California peppers and remove the stem and the seeds. Rinse them. Once the water is boiling, place them in a sauce pan for about 5 minutes. Then turn off the water and let them cool for a few minutes.
- Once the water and the chiles have cooled a bit, add the chiles with 2 cups of the water from which they were boiled into a blender. Blend until smooth for about 45 seconds.
- In a separate pot, add about a tablespoon of olive oil and heat to medium heat. Then add 1 cup of rice and fry it until most of the grains turn a deep white color
- Now slowly add the chile sauce and salt. Let it come back to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer until the liquid evaporates (about 12 minutes).
Mexican Red Rice Nutritional Highlights
(The Stuff That Fuels Your Body!)
- White rice contains 4 grams of protein per 1 cup serving, which helps keep you full and build muscle.
- Tasty Tip: Opting for brown rice or whole-grain varieties of rice is a healthier option due to its higher fiber content.
- Like other peppers, California chiles contain fiber and vitamin C, which are responsible for aiding the immune system, promoting healthy skin.
Other Recipes You Might Like
Mexican Red Rice Frequently Asked Questions
What is Mexican red rice?
Mexican red rice is a rice dish that is seasoned with different ingredients like chiles, tomatoes, and/or onions.
What makes the rice red?
In our recipe, the rice gets its red color from the California chile puree that is added to the rice.
What type of rice should I use to make Mexican red rice?
The best rice to use for Mexican rice is white long grain rice. Jasmine rice also works well in this recipe.
Is Mexican red rice healthy?
Mexican Rice is generally a healthy food. Substituting the rice for a brown or whole grain variety is a way to make the dish even healthier. The rice also contains some healthy fat from the olive oil and vitamin C from the chiles.